Thursday, October 25, 2007

Getting to Know You (2 of 2) : Go Dancing

Ladies, I have nothing to talk to you about. I'm preaching to the choir here. You would be reading this, nodding, and fighting the urge to scream "I Know!!! Tell HIM!!!! " I know you know, so off you go. If you've got the notion, make your fella a drink. He might like something to sip on while he reads the rest of this.

Alright, guys. Hang on, that drink is on the way. What're you having? Scotch? Scotch and water? Water? Either way, enjoy it. I've got a lot to cover, but I'll try to get to the point.

You need to go dancing. It will improve your quality of life. I'm not talking about hitting the club, grinding on strangers to the romantic sounds of Chingy and Timbaland. No, I'm talking about Rumba/Tango/Waltz stuff. I'm talking about Emmitt Smith-style makin' that woman move.

The Talented Mr. Smith
You likely know Emmitt Smith as the Cowboys' Running Back. Maybe the Cardinals. Your lady, on the other hand, probably knows him from Dancing with the Stars, where he won the third season with partner (and trainer) Cheryl Burke. The world of ballroom dancing evidently knows him as their poster boy and emmissary. And pretty much everyone knows he's awesome.

In addition to his current football work (host/analysis/etc), Smith is a spokesman for the Arthur Murray dance studio franchise. (Warning! WORST Flash Site EVER) They have interviews with him posted on the site, part 1 of which is called "Dancing Has Changed My Life" and is available in Windows Media Player and Quicktime formats. I haven't seen it yet.

Bring it Home
Ok, hopefully, I've got your attention, because it's time to bring it home. Emmitt and I agree: Dancing is good. It's good for you (ya lazy bum). Your woman already wants to do it. And don't give me any crap about "She hasn't said so" or any other excuses. If she hasn't nagged you about it, it's because nagging you would take away from the joy of dancing with you. The both of you, out there on the floor, together, for the one simple reason that you WANT to be there doing that, would bring you both such joy. If, however, the only reason you're there is that you "have" to be... well, it won't be any fun for either of you.

My fiancee and I started taking a dance class at the local community college (under the community education program) and have been SO happy with it that we're planning to follow up with the intermediate course. We have learned a LOT about each other through just, what, 6 or 7 classes, and have actually noticed concrete examples of how it's helped us as a couple. Go sign up for a cheap class at your local community college, or find something on Craigslist, or if you're tired of taking matches to all the hundred-dollar bills you've got lying around, check out your local Arthur Miller academy. If you're a little bit country, go for the line dancing. You really can't go wrong with basic ballroom though. It's a lot of fun.

Oh, and see the shoe post before you chip off her poor toenails with your clumsy boats.

Next Up: He-Said/She-Said: a bipartisan analysis of the marriage preparation retreat and the dance classes.

1 comment:

bunnybride said...

I bet Emmitt looked good on Dancing with the Stars... he was one graceful mofo as a running back!

Oh yeah, and guys... if you are reading the comments... I am the bloggers fiance and he pulls a couple of SIMPLE moves on the dance floor that are ZEXY!!! Your partner will pick up on a couple of your moves and be twitterpatted every time.